Sean reveals he will cut off financial support from his kids once they turn 18


Article: 'Healing Camp' Sean, "I'll cut off financial support from my children once they turn 18"

Source: News 1 via Naver

"I think children will be much happier once they learn how to become independent adults. They will never be truly free if the parents support them in everything. It might seem cruel but I love them and I think it's a way to have them live happier lives. I told them that if they want to go to college, they need to make the money for it."

Wife Jung Hye Young expressed her concerns by saying, "I like my husband's thoughts but this is Korea."

-

1. [+10,081, -73] I'm sad that I agree with the wife in saying that this is Korea

2. [+8,150, -123] 18 seems too early in Korea

3. [+4,125, -135] Love Sean and Jung Hye Young~

4. [+3,422, -184] So much to learn from them...

5. [+903, -32] Like Jung Hye Young said, this is Korea.. They're sophomores in high school at 18 years old which means they have to prepare for college entrance exams. When will they have the time to make money for tuition? Sean's idea sounds good on paper but it's too far removed from reality..

6. [+787, -11] I don't know how it works in America but in Europe, kids make enough money working a few hours at restaurants or cafes so it's easier for them to be independent. In Korea, however, you barely make enough for a bowl of soup for hard labor.

7. [+656, -16] Might be possible in another country but impossible in Korea

8. [+545, -8] I understand where he's coming from but reality's different... forcing your kid to take out loans is basically starting them off in life with debt.

9. [+542, -14] Might help them later in life but as 18 year olds, it will be difficult... People rarely take 18 year old part time workers

10. [+490, -8] What Sean's saying is right... just that this is Korea we're talking about, which is the problem..

11. [+479, -11] I heard even in America the age where kids become independent is getting older and older. There are tons of adults in America who still live off of their parents and the average age of independence is said to be 27 years old nowadays. Moving out at 18 is all in the past. Sean probably doesn't realize that times have changed and is stuck in his memory of how America was when he lived back there. Either way, the idea of instilling independence in your kids is always a good thing.

-